NEBRASKA RESTAURANT ASSOCIATION RECOGNIZES RESTAURANTS THAT GIVE BACK
5 Nebraska restaurants selected as the 2017 Restaurant Neighbor Award state winners to compete for the national prize of $10,000
The Nebraska Restaurant Association announced its 2017 Restaurant Neighbor award state winners. These individuals and restaurant groups have demonstrated a dedicated commitment to serving their communities through outstanding charitable service and philanthropy and will advance to the national level to compete for the grand prize of $10,000 to support their favorite charity or non-profit.
The Nebraska winners are:
Restaurant Neighbor Awards
- daVinci’s (Lincoln, NE): With a strong commitment to families and to the Lincoln community, the Knudson family chose Easter as one day to give thanks for the support they have received. Since 1984, daVinci’s has served a free Easter dinner to the low income and lonely – or anyone for that matter. Up to 34,000 free meals have been served since that first Easter dinner in 1984.
- Salt 88 (Omaha, NE): Salt owner, John Horvatinovich knows that it takes a community to staff his restaurant, and a community to dine at his restaurant. Salt focuses on giving back to the everyday needs of the community and being involved in as many projects as possible including: The Autism Center of Nebraska, local schools, March of Dimes, Susan G. Komen and many others.
- Southern Hospitality Ventures (Lincoln, NE): When Justin and Jennifer Jones opened the doors of Raising Cane’s in July of 2006 it was their goal to not just be another restaurant in the community. They wanted to be THE communities restaurant. Southern Hospitality Ventures has given over $1.25 million back to their restaurants communities and on average, help 3.3 events per day. They are most proud of their three annual community based campaigns: Raising Coats with Raising Cane’s, Cell Phones For Soldiers, and Stuff the Bus.
- Goodcents Deli Fresh Subs (Lincoln, NE): The team at Goodcents Deli Fresh Subs thrives on helping the community and strives to say “yes” in some way, to every request received. They have done 16 Dine to Donate nights in the last 2 years donating 10-20% of sales back to local high schools, sports teams and booster clubs. Goodcents also sponsors many charity events, fun runs, and the Cornhusker State Games each year. Additionally, Goodcents supports Junior Achievement and helping the youth within the community get educated as well as staying active.
- LaCasa Pizzaria (Omaha, NE): Since 2007, LaCasa has provided about $3,500.00 in gift certificates to local high schools for their fundraising activities. Additionally, another $4,000.00 has been contributed to local churches. They are proud to be able to contribute to other local, state and national nonprofit organizations including United Way of the Midlands and Nebraska Aids Project. LaCasa also continues to support Omaha’s Food Bank for the Heartland.
From all state winners, three national Restaurant Neighbor Award winners are chosen by a panel of industry professionals and receive an all-expense paid trip to Washington, D.C. in March 2017 where they are honored at a gala awards dinner during the National Restaurant Association’s Public Affair Conference. Each national winner receives $10,000 to support their charitable giving efforts. Developed 18 years ago, the program is sponsored by American Express.
Find more information and stories from all winning applicants at www.ChooseRestaurants.org/Awards.