Vala’s Pumpkin Patch and Apple Orchard
Job Opportunity: Food Manager, Purchasing & Scheduling
Vala’s Pumpkin Patch & Apple Orchard is hiring a Food Purchasing and Scheduling Manager. Located in Gretna, Nebraska, Vala’s is a fall festival open to the public 45 to 55 days a year and a treasured fall tradition for many families in the surrounding communities. Vala’s is one of the largest pick-your-own pumpkin patches in the world, spanning 400+ acres and including over 50 attractions, like pick-your-own pumpkins and apples, and over 25 specialty food locations. Working at Vala’s during the fall season is a fast-paced, exciting experience that’s also very rewarding – we create happiness!
The ideal candidate will provide exceptional leadership and have a passion for providing high quality service to our growing number of guests and employees. They will lead by example in engaging a professional and positive culture throughout the company. This candidate will be a resourceful problem solver with some experience with bookkeeping and accounting a plus.
The Company: Vala’s Pumpkin Patch & Apple Orchard is a family owned entertainment venue. Tim and Jan Vala started Vala’s 35 years ago, and the business is now being transitioned to the next generation of owners. We are known for creating magical memories through providing fall family traditions for our guests and employees alike.
· Our food operations are growing and changing every year.
· Our mission is to create happiness and magical memories for families through fun, fall traditions, including excellent food.
As the Purchasing and Scheduling Food Manager, you will be managing the purchasing side of food operations under the supervision of the Director of Food & Beverage and the Director of Food Operations. You will work closely with the Food Warehouse Manager to accurately assess inventory and make purchases based on the needs of each food location. You will maintain the high standards of quality and safety of food locations throughout the farm, maximizing profits with quality control and customer service. You will also be working with a team to schedule 400+ seasonal food employees and managing all employee changes and updates throughout the season.
· Order food during our 45-55 day season, while also minimizing waste and leftover products at the end of the season
· Maintain accurate inventory of food during the season, conducting audits and purchasing food from vendors as needed based off of accurate projections and needs.
· Analyzes purchasing reports in order to provide accurate data to Food Team members
· Work closely with food and beverage vendors to plan and execute competitive purchases needed for food operations
· Responsible for invoices being processed accurately and in a timely manner
· Schedule 400+ seasonal food workers and manage their schedule changes on a daily basis, while maintaining set labor cost goals
· Food safety training and checks
· Manages food supervisors and team leaders
· Other duties: This job description includes essential job functions for the position; however, other duties may be assigned as required by a supervisor based off of the needs of the organization.
· Accounting mentality, must be comfortable with math, numbers and bookkeeping
· Knowledge of purchasing practices and trends
· Experience managing people
· Computer skills are required, Gsuits familiarity is a plus
· Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, ServSafe certification is a plus
· Paid Time Off
· Simple IRA matching
· Flexible work schedule and possible extended time off if desired
· Casual dress
· Seasonal benefits also included: family/friends season passes, general admission tickets, food/retail discount
Why Should You Apply?
If you have ever wanted to work in the attractions industry and see yourself thriving at a unique, fast-paced, and growing attraction, you may be interested in applying for the Purchasing and Scheduling Food Manager. We offer a flexible schedule, competitive benefits, and a fun business atmosphere where we are always looking for opportunities to improve and innovate our operations.
How To Apply
Apply now and please send your cover letter with desired salary, resume, and two professional references. https://www.indeedjobs.com/valas-pumpkin-patch–apple-orchard/jobs
Vala’s Pumpkin Patch is committed to equal employment opportunity. We will not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally-recognized basis including, but not limited to: race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, height, weight, marital status, veteran status, uniform service member status or any other protected class under federal, state, or local law.